The world is moving toward a new mantra of “working for a great manager rather than a brand” to ensure work-life simplicity as well as harmony and acceptance. One on one meetings have proven to be effective in establishing a good relationship between managers and employees.
"You spend so much time finding great people, it’s worth it to help them grow to be the best they can be." Justin Rosenstein, Co-Founder of ASANA. The one on one meetings are some of the most important sessions for managers and employees to have.
One on one meetings are the ultimate win-win situation since it is important for the manager to know the employees better.
- Uncover your teams' biggest obstacles/goals at work, a case or a problem.
- Serve as a major motivational push for employees because they can get the help and attention they need to conduct their work with quality and confidence.
- Remind them of the larger picture that drives employees to come in to work enthusiastically 5 days a week.
- Strengthen teamwork spirit and solve any team-related fuss before they escalate into a time-consuming argument.
- Focus on matters that could affect the team's performance and goal attainment.
So, having a template and set up that focuses on the employee, pushes them to speak freely and sincerely is essential. Otherwise the manager would risk the one on one meeting looking like any status update on a project or a forecast vs goal meeting.
During one on one meetings, the point is to ask questions like:
- How has your week/month been?
- Is there anything specific on your mind you would like to share with me?
- Do you feel like you have been provided with all that you need to do your work well?
- How confident are you with your work? Is there something you would like to be improve on?
- In an ideal world, what would you need to know or get clarity on to make your work day easier?
There are more questions on the template found below – simply download it and get started.
Make sure the questions you have focuses on; long term vs short term goals, career or current job function, team-relationship and set up a plan that allows your team to stay on course for the main dream or driver motivating them to work for you as a manager.
To help you get started, we have created a One on One meeting template that is in line with all that has been mentioned in this blog. This One on One meeting agenda template has been built so that you can customize it as well. Download it now and thank us later!