Stratsys is responsible for version management of your database and needs answers to certain questions from it to be able to do this. As customers, you also have a certain responsibility, which is listed here.
Stratsys' responsibility includes the actual version management as well as the creation of historical versions of the platform. There are other parts that we recommend to be done in direct connection with the version management of you as a customer, and this requires co-planning for it to work as well as possible.
Keep in mind that:
All reporting must be ready before version management - after it has been completed, it is NOT possible to change or supplement the reporting for the current year (the year that closes).
All reports that must be available for the year must therefore be marked as completed or archived before version management.
Decisions that need to be made before version management
When in time should version management be carried out? Please plan well in advance so that we have a better chance of meeting your wishes.
Everyone of your users working with Stratsys must complete their work for the previous year. This applies to all products/areas of use, as well as all organizational departments.
Should new users added to the current version automatically get read access to the upcoming historical database? There is a setting that allows users added in the future to have read access to the database from the previous year. If the setting is not activated, new users will not be able to enter the archived database.
Should completed activities be deleted? Activities is a collective term for all nodes where the date functionality is available and is often found in most scorecards. Activities that have been completed during the current year are usually filtered out of the planning, but will appear again during version management and may then be suitable to clear out. You decide for which scorecard columns this should affect. ATTENTION! If you have schools in the database that work with broken years, e.g. 2021/2022 (autumn semester/spring semester) they usually do not want to remove activities at the same time as the rest of the organization. So, if you have broken the school year, talk to the person responsible for the school about how they want to do it.
Should the planning version be activated immediately or at a later date?
Should information other than activities be cleared?
The customer's responsibility for version management
By the date of the implementation of making the planning version into the current version, you need to have gone through the following:
- Ensure that all users of all products/scorecards are completely done with their reporting!
- Check that all reports in the current year are marked as completed or archived. After a version management, the report parts in a report will be locked with reference to the report being based on a removed version, which means that no new information is retrieved or updated from the system's scorecards. Reports with report parts that have never been opened will be empty after executing the version management.
Please note that the information above applies to all reports at all organizational levels. If the reporting is not handled as above, we have no function to restore it.
Failure to do so will result in:
- Risk that there will be "empty" report parts in the report.
- It is no longer possible to write or edit in the report and it cannot be marked as completed.
- Work put into the reports and scorecards is wasted.
Read more about the consequences here: LÄNK Handling reports in version management
- Have you made changes to the organization tree? If Yes, the following needs to be ensured:
- Have the users belonging to a department to be deleted been given new permissions? (otherwise they will become read users one level up)
- Have all new units in the planning received the correct department groups?
- Think through and check if anything has changed in your way of working which has resulted in information being added/removed. This could be, for example, a new scorecard or columns, new description fields or keywords etc. that have been added and means that views in the current version needs to be updated or replaced.
- When time for version management is scheduled, inform users that they should not be logged into Stratsys during said time.
Customer's responsibility after version management
- Check that menus point to the correct version and adjust it if not.